The National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) originally began as Women in Construction of Fort Worth, Texas. Sixteen women working in the construction industry founded it in 1953. Knowing that women represented only a small fraction of the construction industry, the founders organized NAWIC to create a support network. Women in Construction of Fort Worth was so successful that it gained its national charter in 1955 and became the National Association of Women in Construction.
The Greater Washington Chapter of NAWIC held its first installation ceremonies on September 27, 1962. In an article covering the installation, the Northern Virginia SUN described the organization as "a national organization of women who own, or are officers of, building firms; office personnel of general and sub-contractors; or are employed in administrative capacity by trade associations and architectural firms." Today, NAWIC members work in all capacities of the construction industry, including field, engineering, design, ownership, and administrative positions.
NAWIC provides its members with opportunities for professional development, education, networking, leadership training, public service and more.